RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Advice/Comments on The Hunger Games

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling View previous topic
View next topic

Advice/Comments on The Hunger Games
dlage

Post Advice/Comments on The Hunger Games Reply with quote
Dear Kolbe Moderators and Parents,

I would like to hear your opinions of The Hunger Games movie and books. After unsuccesfully looking online for some sound, catholic advice I turn to you for help. The views from catholics online are very diverse and conflicting. Some are defending the literary merits of the books and also the content, while others advice against it. These books are very popular even among home schoolers.

Does anyone know the reading level of this work? Is the content morally objectionable in any way?

Thank you and God bless you.

Deya
Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
Not to go give you more opinions, but a few parents from Kolbe have read/reviewed the books (not the movie) on the forum from a few years ago:

http://www.kolbeforum.org/viewtopic.php?t=3106

I'll also ping Marita to see if she has any insight on the series (she is our Lit advisor). Also, you may be interested in reading Tenants for readers and reviewers as a way to help you discern morally objectional literature, movies, or tv shows:

http://books.kolbe.org/store/p/185-TENETS-FOR-READERS-REVIEWERS.html

Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:51 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Marita Vargas

Post Reply with quote
Sorry, I can't be of much help. My students at my once-a-week job were all talking about the movie the other night. I may see the movie if I find that understanding it will help me understand them. From what they were saying, it sounds like a pretty good movie to provide a point of entry for discussion about the value of life. But, I gathered, it wasn't for children. Sometimes these things are important in a generational sense: Your young people are coming of age when moral issues are given a mass media treatment that offers an opening for explaining the Catholic Faith. In my generation the big issue movie was 2001 A Space Odyssey. So I'd judge exposure to such things on a case-by-case basis. By all means get a solid Catholic opinion. EWTN might have something. What Catholics should aim for is producing a movie from the Catholic point of view that generates as much interest as a secular movie. If you find a movie like that -- let me know.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
dlage

Post Reply with quote
Thank you Ms. Lengyel and Ms. Vargas! You have been very helpful.
Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
gmgraham

Post hunger games Reply with quote
I was interested in this post as my 13 y.o. son was interested in reading these books. I read them first and found that while there is violence, I didn't find it overly graphic. I found that the main character had some redeeming qualities and that the book provided content for discussion with my son regarding right and wrong and why some people will turn a blind eye to the wrong things in our world. We also discussed how it related to Ancient Rome and Greek mythology.

I would recommend a parent read them first to discern the suitability for their child. I won't let my 11 year old daughter read them for some time. I'm certain they would cause her some bad dreams at this point.

My son read the first book and wasn't interested in reading any other books in the series. Part of that may have been due to the "love" relationship of two characters. Laughing Not really his thing. I think a bigger part though, was that he reads lots of actual history books about war and also reads quite a bit of "good books" LOTR, etc. I think the exposure to good literature made this seem a bit straightforward. The plot is not really challenging to grasp and the history books he reads, he said were much more interesting. "That actually happened and I like to find out why and how," he told me. This book to him was "just some story someone made up."

I think as he has been exposed to good literature during his educational years, this provided 3 or 4 hours of entertainment for him, but nothing of lasting impact.
Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:33 pm View user's profile Send private message
nbearer27

Post Hunger Games Reply with quote
I read the first book. Just my opinion, I used to be literature teacher I would recommend this for older teens like Junior and Senior year unless they are mature for their age.

Noelle Mador:)

"No one can make you feel inferior unless you allow them to do that"
-Eleanor Roosevelt
Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:04 am View user's profile Send private message
dlage

Post Hunger Games Reply with quote
Thank you gmgraham! It was very nice to hear your story, it confirms once again that exposing our children to good literature, music, and other wholesome pastimes serves as a kind of immunity to less wholesome entertainment. In our family we try to be selective of what we read/view by following our values. I like the idea of reading some war history books, but these tend to appeal more to the boys than the girls. Some times we have to pursuede our girls to stay and watch a war history movie or docummentary. Does your son have a favorite war history book?

Blessings,

Deya
Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:22 am View user's profile Send private message
introibo

Post Reply with quote
There is a review of the movie on www.decentfilms.com, which I think links to the National Catholic Register. Greydanus is pretty sound on this stuff.
My 15 year old wants to see this..she hasn't read the books. I'll probably let her see it when it comes to the rerun theaters near us.
One thing to note...this film takes place in a religion-less society. Interesting to ponder what could happen if God continues to be eradicated from every facet of our daily existence.

Christina
Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
gmgraham

Post Reply with quote
Deya,

My son loved the out-of-print Landmark series. We also found several of the titles and more published by Sterling Point Books (Old Blood and Guts, Tunnel to Freedom). Other favorites, Guadelcanal Diary (does have some language), How Great Generals Win, Most Decisive Battles of World History (or something like that), and Albert Marrin books, which are also out-of-print, but could be found at our library. Additionally, he has read The Long Road to Gettysburg Several times.

Hope that helps!

Melissa
Wed May 02, 2012 5:15 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: