RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Changes to National Merit Scholarship Application

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling View previous topic
View next topic

Changes to National Merit Scholarship Application
Everett Buyarski

Post Changes to National Merit Scholarship Application Reply with quote
As an announcement to those of you who are participating in the NMSC this year. They've changed some things from past years, where they allowed a student to be both home-schooled and have a school of record where the school filled out all the relevant forms (transcripts, class ranks, etc). I was told by one of their reps that to qualify in your state rather than California, you can only use your local code, and not our code in addition. As such, if you would like Kolbe to help with the filling out of the primary application forms dealing with those things I mentioned, I was told that you'll have to share your login info with us so that I can fill them in. Kolbe is still able to complete the endorser portion by you listing myself as the endorser. Please contact me with any questions: transcripts[at]kolbe.org.
Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:56 am View user's profile Send private message
momgineer

Post Reply with quote
Is this for anyone taking the PSAT or only those who qualify for the scholarship portion?

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:10 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
Whether to enter your state homeschooling code or the Kolbe CEEB code applies to anyone taking the PSAT. If you do the CEEB code for Kolbe, I believe the students are contenders for being a semi-finalist in the California pool. If you put your own state's homeschooling code, then they are in the pool for your home state. There can be some strategy behind this as each state's score for being a semi-finalist is different. So for example, if California's score for being a semi-finalist last year is lower than Missouri, then it might be in the student's best interest to opt into the California pool. (and that's assuming that this year they follow a similar score breakdown... usually they are in the same ballpark from year to year).

This used to be a moot point b/c the college board would reclassify any homeschool student into their own state even if they were doing a correspondance type of program in a different state. It seems like they've changed these rules from what Everett has said above, and it may take some research to figure out what is the best strategy for your child since every state is different.

I'll ping Everett again on this to see if he has any more thoughts.

Megan

Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:25 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Everett Buyarski

Post Reply with quote
To clarify, this pertains specifically to the application for the scholarship competition, so it'd be after you've been named a semi-finalist. However, the portion about using your state homeschol CEEB code would likely apply to taking the test as well. Based on our current information, the recommendation would be to use that code for both taking the test and the scholarship application, and if you'd like help with the school info portion (and the transcript material), then you'll need to contact us directly to share your login information. Hopefully they can make some changes to this in future years, so that it more closely resembles something like the online Common Application, where there's more flexibility, but for now this is what we're stuck with.
Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:09 pm View user's profile Send private message
OJMom

Post 2013 National Merit Scholarship Program Reply with quote
Are there any changes to this process for 2012-13? Did everything work ok last year?

Also, after looking at the online application - does this mean that we need to give you our log-in information so that you can complete the School Profile section before we name you as Endorser? Or is this section something we should try to complete ourselves and tailor the answers as they apply only to our student? (I hope that question makes sense.)

Thanks!

Teresa
Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
Everett Buyarski

Post Reply with quote
Teresa, we haven't had a chance to work with the 2012-2013 applications, so I don't know for sure. But yes, last year for me to fill out the school profile sections, parents did have to share their log-in information with me. However, if they're giving home school parents the option of Endorser this year, it may be more like other online applications in that it will give me access. Please feel free to give me a call at the office.
Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:51 am View user's profile Send private message
OJMom

Post Reply with quote
The instructions say that we must complete and submit the School Profile before working on all other sections. Then it says once I and my student are finished with our portions, we submit it to the designated Endorser via the OSA. The Endorser must then transmit the application to them by Oct. 10th. So, I'm guessing we still need to proceed as you did last year. I'll give you a call later today to work it out.

Thanks!
Teresa
Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:46 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: