RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
subjects for report cards

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling View previous topic
View next topic

subjects for report cards
ninthgrademommy

Post subjects for report cards Reply with quote
My children are doing a literature program, a grammar program, and a vocabulary program.
Right now writing is part of grammar. next quarter it will be on its own (from IEW).

So how do I mark these on the report cards?
literature
English - do I include grammar, vocab and composition.. or do I put composition and vocab with literature?

or should I put vocab or composition down as an academic elective..

thank you

Ame E.
Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
This is also up to you. For academic subjects, you want to think in terms of what constitutes enough work for a high school level course. Just doing a vocab book on its own may not warrant a full credit for "English," but combined with composition and grammar, is certainly a much more involved course. It's typical at many Public schools for English and Literature to be combined into one course for one high school English credit. We separate it at Kolbe on purpose to keep the focus of each course different: Literature is reading and writing about works while English constitutes the development of the tools needed to analyze and write in courses like Theology, History, and Literature. With Kolbe's focus on separate courses, we guide parents towards grouping any composition (learning techniques), vocab, and grammar into a separate English grade.

Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:45 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: