RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Favorite rubrics site?

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling View previous topic
View next topic

Favorite rubrics site?
momtimesfour

Post Favorite rubrics site? Reply with quote
Last summer at our big statewide homeschooling conference, I took in a lecture about grading writing. I learned quite a bit, but am still not very good at creating a rubric for each writing assignment. (I posted here instead of English/Language Arts because Kolbe has quite a few writing assignments throughout the courses.) It struck me that having a rubric before giving the assignment is very much in tune with the idea of prelection. The student can see exactly what is expected with regard to format, citations, content, grammar, etc. The woman giving the lecture went so far as to suggest having the criteria spelled out for an average paper, a good paper, and an excellent paper so that the student could see what the difference was before ever putting pencil to paper.

All that said... what sites do any of you use or recommend for creating rubrics? Is this something that Kolbe has on the website and I've just missed? (Is it something that might be in the works? A lot of parents get nervous about grading writing and having rubrics specifically tailored to Kolbe assignments would be a tremendous help.)
Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
We have a ton of rubrics "laying around" at our office for various things... those that use EES get a general rubric sent with their welcome email/letter that spells out what is considered an "A", "B," and "C" paper. I think i can get this posted on our course sites below. I'll have to double check on it though.

Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:06 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
momtimesfour

Post Reply with quote
Megan, it would be incredibly helpful to have rubrics to work from. Thanks for looking into it. Very Happy
Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
rjrmommy

Post Reply with quote
Because no question is stupid...what is a rubric? I'm still new to homeschooling and hear many terms that I don't know.
Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:12 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
A rubric is just a grading guide that teh student is usually given ahead of time (although it doesn't have to be). It can be very general or very specific.

An example of a really specific guide would be:

Essay worth 100 pts

Clarity /10 pts
Grammar /10 pts
Content /10 pts
Spelling /10 pts
etc....

You would fill in the points the student received for each of those categories. You could even get more specific on each of the categories too if you wanted.

A more general one would be

An "A" Essay has:

Less than 1 grammar mistake
Less than 1 spelling error
Superior content
etc

A "B" Essay has
Less than 3 grammar mistakes
Less than 3 spelling errors
Good content

A "C" Essay has
More than 3 grammar mistakes
More than 3 spelling errors
Adequate content
etc.

I still need to look into posting our EES rubrics. Hopefully my pregnant brain will remember Wink.

Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:51 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: