RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
EES Sample

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Enhanced Evaluation Questions View previous topic
View next topic

EES Sample
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post EES Sample Reply with quote
Celeste and I put together a few samples of an evaluation done for a student (with their permission!)

Here's the link in case you are interested:

http://www.kolbeforum.org/KolbeDocs/EESSample.pdf

Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:30 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Janel

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the EES sample, I think it is helpful in understanding how this service can be used. I had my 7th & 9th grader read through the sample and they now realize the comments I have made concerning their papers are reasonable, however we all agree that it would be beneficial to have others critique their work. I read through some of the older posts regarding the number of papers per quarter and was curious if the service will remain as is or possibly be changing to a fee/number of papers per year? I also can't imagine sending in 12 papers in a quarter. A few other questions:
What is the common turn around time if the sample is sent via e-mail?
Would it be possible to post an EES Sample Form?
How would this service be used outside of writing? Do you have samples for other subjects such as science or latin?
If you register for the service for the first quarter and then decide to continue for the year do you get the 20% discount?
Blessings,
Janel
Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:51 am View user's profile Send private message
Celeste Cuellar

Post EES questions Reply with quote
JMJ

Dear Janel,

I believe that the set-up for EES will remain the same for this next year. We do re-visit the topic each fall when we have our annual advisor meeting, so that may result in a change for the 2009-2010 year.

The easiest way to get in twelve written samples is to send in one paper a week for eight weeks and then send in four quarterly exams. Since high school students have paper topics in four subjects (Theology, English, Literature, and History), they have plenty of material to choose from.

This year, there will be two advisors working with high school, two with middle school, and one with elementary. We each handle about 50-75 students, but many of those students only sign up for a quarter.

The turn around time on submissions is 5-7 business days. Thatís counting the actual time we have the paper until it leaves our hands. Email submissions are great and they obviously avoid the time delay of sending the paper both ways, but the amount of time it takes to evaluate remains the same.

We can post a sample submission form and Megan will take care of that next week when sheís back in the office. The interview form, filled out by the parents, followed up by a phone or email contact really helps the evaluator know where the studentís strengths are and where thereís room for growth.
Yes, if you sign up for a quarter and then decide to extend you do receive the discount.

Parents may request a certain evaluator and if we can accommodate that request we will. Itís usually a good idea for students to work with someone else after two years in order to provide them with yet another perspective, but there are always exceptions. We also have certain evaluators for specific subjects like Latin, Math, and Science.

God bless,
Celeste
Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:56 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
I often grade submission of lab reports by students. I can post a sample next week, as well as the sample submission form that we have.

Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:01 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Janel

Post Reply with quote
Celeste & Megan, Thanks! A lab sample would be great. Janel
Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:00 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
Here are those EES Science Samples.

Althought I don't have a way to post a sample of it, I also did EES for an Italian II student this past year. The Prego! program has all the workbook and language lab stuff online (hence the inability to actually post what i did). Although most of it is "self-grading" there are still some things on there that had varying answers, so I graded those. I also graded the Italian exams for the parent. I know Tim had a few Latin students as well. I think mainly he graded tests or other "homework" assignments. The possibilities are really limitless. As long as it is an assignment in our curriculum or some sort of composition, we can attempt to grade it. I've done a few lab reports from students who weren't using our materials. While I can't comment specifically on whether the procedure is totally correct, the point of a lab report is to convey what you did in a way that allows another scientist to repeat the experiment, so I always go at it from that perspective. (And I always make sure to let the parent know that my evaluation might not reflect everything that needs to be corrected if i do not have access to the original materials, but most people realize that is the case when handing you something from outside the curriculum).

Hands down, using EES for composition grading is the most popular, but I think it is nice for parents to have the flexibility to send in samples from whatever subject they want. I think the only thing i (well WE collectively) actually haven't graded yet is a math assignment. But who knows what next year will bring!

Also here's what our Sample Submission form looks like. We really try to understand what the parent expected of the student. We try, as best we can, to put ourselves in the parents shoes but with our own areas of expertise.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:49 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
momuv5

Post Re: EES Samples Reply with quote
I really like the EES samples posted! My son took a Johns Hopkins online writing class in 9th grade. THIS is the exact way that they evaluated! He improved in writing in such a short time due to the constructive comments that the teacher made throughout his papers. I'm glad that you posted samples! I will be more inclined to use EES in the future:)
Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:14 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Enhanced Evaluation Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: