RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Late assignments

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling View previous topic
View next topic

Late assignments
sharonh

Post Late assignments Reply with quote
Any suggestions on how to handle assignment that children neglect to do (even though the assignments are written on their daily planners) until mom sits down to grade schoolwork and children have been supposedly done with schoolwork for an hour or more?

Dock 5%, 10%? or be really cruel and give a zero?
Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:25 pm View user's profile Send private message
introibo

Post Reply with quote
If you grade daily, just make them finish it by the following day. If you grade weekly, (Say, Friday night or Saturday), then make them do it Sunday. I wouldn't penalize....homeschooling should be a bit more flexible, in my humble opinion.

Christina
Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
I think there are a couple of issues here. It sounds like from your post that there may be some disobedience to you when late assignments are not being turned in. . . And you are looking to find a way to acknowledge that that is unacceptable on your terms. If you've been clear about when you expect an assignment, and your child hasn't come to you to say "Hey I'm really struggling with this, can I get an extension?" then there probably should be some type of consequence. Teachers, professors etc are very understanding people if you are proactive in your search for an extension and certainly homeschool parents should be too. But if the student turns something in late with no notice that it will be as such, then the only thing a teacher or parent can assume is that procrastination and/or laziness preceeded the late assignment. I would start out being lenient, maybe a drop in letter grade per day if it is late. So if you grade it and he would normally have received a B on the assignment... one day late would make it a C. (sort of like a 10% reduction in the grade, but you could go more lenient like half a grade B to B- or C+).

Now if the issue is that the child "missed" seeing the assignment on the planner either by overlooking it or just getting lost in the wording, this certainly would beg for more leniency. Perhaps a quick 5 minute discussion to go over the assignments in their planner for that day to ensure they see everything assigned will clear that up and clear the air on whether actual disobedience is occurring or an honest mistake.

Just a few helpful ideas!

Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:45 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
introibo

Post Reply with quote
I believe in general that homeschooled kids aren't as tuned into getting grades the way public/private schooled kids are...so maybe you could, in addition to giving a talking to where necessary, effect a punishment somewhere else? Like losing video time, desserts, etc. until the assignment is done or if the lateness pops up again in the future.

Christina
Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:01 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: