RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Not really a question - just a thanks for this program plug

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Enhanced Evaluation Questions View previous topic
View next topic

Not really a question - just a thanks for this program plug
Almom

Post Not really a question - just a thanks for this program plug Reply with quote
Just wanted to compliment Kolbe on a fantastic job with this EES program - and say thanks to all our various evaluators over the years. I have found this the most beneficial thing we've done and one of the main reasons all my highschoolers are enrolled with Kolbe. We have experience with 3 and are just starting with our 4th evaluator. (We have lots of children so it isn't that Kolbe is inconsitent or anything. We've had a consistent evaluator for a year for each of the children who have used this. I wish we could do it with our middle schooler as well and I hope to add him in next year, in 8th).

The evaluators have all been very attentive to any specific requests I made. They have all taken information I've given them about the particular strengths and weaknesses of particular children, and used that to help them communicate effectively with both me and the children. They have helped teach my children how to up-load assignments, given supplemental materials and references to answer my questions about how I might better grade something. They have illustrated ways to reword something, given additional references for sources of grammar rules and other things that might be of general use. They have used a variety of ways to show the children how to improve their writing and have certainly done this in a visually effective way.

I have learned so much from reading the comments made on my children's papers. I have also learned from looking over the materials sent to us at the beginning of the year. I've been on the phone with two different evaluators, either to clarify something for myself or to get some ideas on what I could do to help. These conversations were always fruitful for both me and my child. Whenever I've expressed any feeling of inadequacy in how to do something, these evaluators have sent me supplemental information that steps me through it. Certainly, with a number of children, the time saving is really an important factor. However, I've never wanted to just hand over the education to someone else. Having Kolbe evaluators lets me work with the children without pressure and allows my children to get feedback more immediately. We are all happier. It has freed me to be a supporter and mentor for my children.

I also want to express how beneficial it has been to have a different evaluator with the start of a new year. The first time we were changed from our first evaluator, I e-mailed Embarassed asking if there was any way we could stay with the particular evaluator we'd had the previous year because she had really helped us. When we realized that it was just impossible, we started with the next one and discovered that he had a few slightly different areas that he tended to be especially particular about. This meant that he really stretched my daughter to improve and to gain experience learning from a variety of teachers. This year we were more than happy for her to work with whomever. When we received the e-mail assignment, I was particularly impressed with all the information and supplemental materials sent to us. This was all so clear - from grading standards, links to samples to conveniently reattaching forms we already have. Our other child has already worked with a different evaluator who is helping him quite a bit and doing so in such an encouraging way - focusing on strengths while gently leading him to address weaknesses.

Oh, I must also say that we are so thankful that Kolbe is willing to help with any papers, even if they are not on the Kolbe plans. We tend to do at least some of our own things every year. We have already submitted papers from Declaration Statesmanship, this year. This is part of the flexibility in the system.

We are once again impressed with our new advisors! Thank you Kolbe for this wonderful service.

Janet
Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
rjrmommy

Post Reply with quote
As a parent, what grade do you think is best for starting the EES?
Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:46 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » Enhanced Evaluation Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: