RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Timing of exams

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling View previous topic
View next topic

Timing of exams
judyinrome

Post Timing of exams Reply with quote
Our first grader is doing great, very smart, but a pokey boy. Two little siblings for distractions don't help. I was going to be sooo good this quarter by getting rid of distractions and making his testing atmosphere excellent (we have the CAT 5 testing next week). I've not been strict on timing the exams 1st and 2nd quarter, but today his religion exam took him way longer than the course plan suggested and he did quite well taking his time. He's just so pokey. I don't know how I should grade him--considering all things...
Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:32 am View user's profile Send private message
bemcniff

Post Reply with quote
Hi! It is my opinion haveing done that age 4 times now that I wouldn't worry in terms of grading how long he takes. It is very good that he completes his exams. If he tends to day dream you could motivate him to focus by having something fun scheduled "after the test". You can also work on training his attention span in other areas after the fact since you see this may be an issue by gradually increasing time expected on focus. For example, working 10 minutes week one no getting off task allowed then 15 minutes week 2 or some such gradual plan and I would think never progressing past 30 minutes max on a single subject at this age. If he's slowly trained in complete attention he will work faster but if he isn't already skilled in focusing you can't expect him to perform such on demand. HTH!
Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
sharonh

Post Reply with quote
In first grade, I allowed my children to tell me the answers to any questions that said "write your answer here" so that they didn't have to spend a lot time trying to remember how to spell words. With the fill in the blank if there was a "word bank", I still probably let them tell me at least half the answer to write down. For any essay type questions, I let them dictate what I should write down. Now granted, a regular classroom teacher couldn't do that, but it helped MY frustration level if children weren't taking forever to finish a test. I increased my expectations of what they were do by themselves gradually.

One of my children had a reading problem and the only way he COULD do tests in first grade was for me to read the questions and write down his answers.

Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
bemcniff

Post Reply with quote
sharonh's reply reminds me that for our CCD class (I teach 2nd grade) we give exams orally except to a few children. It takes a lot of time but a written exam even of the fill in the blank variety can be very hard at age 7. The exams are on par with Kolbe's. Doing them orally is a great idea.
Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
Dianne Muth

Post Reply with quote
The parents have given sound advice. You need to meet the child where he is, and lead him to where you want him to be. You do that by any means that works for him. The important thing at this stage is to make the student comfortable with taking tests. In many schools this is not expected of children until they are in 4th or 5th grade. It is then a great shock. We start testing in first grade to help the child become used to testing. Obviously, you know what the child knows, but it is to his advantage to learn how to take tests.
Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:09 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: