RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Repeating a grade

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling View previous topic
View next topic

Repeating a grade
jazzed7

Post Repeating a grade Reply with quote
So I've pretty much decided to repeat third grade with my son; he is a summer birthday and right now he is a 'young' third grader. I would rather he be an older student with greater mastery especially just in case I need to put him into school at a future point. He is rather relieved by the prospect of repeating the grade. He is doing okay grades-wise, but we've been covering math really slowly with a lot of struggling with basic facts still. Reading is a little slow and though he is an excellent reader, we've had a lot of difficulty with written assignments (writing paragraphs, book reports, summaries, etc.). History has been neglected this past quarter; grammar is hit and miss (he excels at most everything but the writing paragraphs part); phonics is a breeze, and science hasn't been too difficult. Religion is progressing satisfactorily. I was wondering if anybody had some suggestions on how best to handle this kind of situation.
Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:50 am View user's profile Send private message
rc3tkc

Post Reply with quote
Well my 3rd grader does 4th grade phonics (word study), so you could just move him ahead with that subject while still labeling him as a 3rd grader. I would do the same for any subject he is doing well in. To be honest, I think the expectations for writing are rather ambitious in Kolbe's plans. Anything open ended (as book reports and many paragraphs are) is really stressful for my ds. So I'm having him use writing prompts (selected from Evan Moor's Giant Write Every Day book), and I alternate between following Kolbe's guidelines for book reports and using a book report form I found online that asks specific questions about the characters and the stories. As far as the reading goes, I don't have him write the answers to every lesson - we just don't have enough time in the day. So I have him answers the questions in writing once a week (or more freq. if he needs more practice with the writing), and then have him read and answer the questions orally the rest of the time (still in complete sentences).
Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:45 am View user's profile Send private message
sharonh

Post Reply with quote
Quite frankly, it has been years since I had my children do book reports. It was so much a struggle with my older two that I switched them to literature studies using Progeny Press and R.A.C.E for H.E.A.V.E.N Kolbe's middle school and junior high literature program is similar. Kolbe has the books read quicker with, I suppose, fewer questions per book, but still has the dreaded book report. My third was a slow reader so I never even tried book reports. I am so out of practice, I never even thought to try with my bookworm daughter in third grade. I do not have my children write out every reading question either, as I have previous posted, but whatever isn't written is done orally. I do the summarizing the poems orally. Neither do I have them write out all English exercises once they hit Voyages.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
jazzed7

Post Reply with quote
We have been doing a bit of the reading material orally, especially the poems, as they are rather difficult for even me, sometimes! (although I appreciate the material as ds just took the CAT and was thrilled by how 'easy' it was). My thinking is that by taking another year we can take more time to develop those skills before moving up into harder material. Same thing with the math, as we've been doing MCP and perhaps we could work through another series...(Saxon or Singapore?) Repeating history, too, would benefit as he really likes religion and Bible studies, and talking in depth about their application to our lives, etc and I'd like a better foundation beffore we move on. This year we've spent so much time on the three r's, and he still struggles with them, that I feel pushing on wouldn't serve anyone. I do, however plan to advance him where he is proficient, namely phonics and spelling. (word study). I don't know what Kolbe suggests for fourth grade grammar as we are currently using Voyages 4 right now. He is definitely not ready for 4th grade history and I am not sure yet about religion, either. So far, however, this decision has taken a lot of pressure off us and now we are focusing more just on learning the concepts behind multiplication and division, for example, and less right now on the facts themselves.
Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
Dianne Muth

Post Reply with quote
It is a good idea to slow down and work at mastery in all areas, which it sounds like you are doing. My only suggestion is that you do not let him get bored by repeating material that he has mastered.
Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:56 am View user's profile Send private message
sharonh

Post Reply with quote
If Kolbe's third grade English is out for next fall, I plan to use that for my current 3rd grader as we are also doing VIE 4 this year.

Otherwise I may see what Seton offers or Catholic Hertitage Curricula.

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:55 am View user's profile Send private message
8latinfans

Post Reply with quote
After years of considering repeating a grade with our daughter, we finally decided to do it the year after she completed 6th grade. She has an August birthday, so she was always one of the youngest ones in her grade level. She had "managed" up to that point, but we never felt really comfortable with her mastery of the subjects. As she got older, it became more obvious to us that she needed another year to mature. She is now finishing up 7th grade after doing 6th grade twice, and it was the best decision we ever made! This way, she will be one of the oldest in her class when she is in college, which I personally think is advantageous, especially for a girl.

For some of the subjects, we just used the same books over. For some subjects, we used a different curriculum just to mix things up a bit. It will all work out.
Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:41 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: