RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
stubborn 7th grader

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling View previous topic
View next topic

stubborn 7th grader
CMMack

Post stubborn 7th grader Reply with quote
We have just begun homeschooling this year. We are only on week 2, and my 7th grader is, I believe overwhelmed. He is very bright, but gets frustrated easily and has trouble with feeling behind if he does not get all of the work done in a day and cannot break down big assignments into small parts. He tends to dawdle and gets distracted easily. First he says all the work is too hard, then refuses to do the math (Algebra 1/2) because he says he knows how to do it already. Now he sits in his chair and refuses to do anything. I am beyond frustrated and don't know what to do to get him to do any of the work. Offering to help gets no response.
Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:15 am View user's profile Send private message
Dianne Muth

Post Reply with quote
If your son was in a regular classroom, this can be a bit of a culture shock. First of all, remember that our curriculum is very challenging because it is easier to cut back than add to a program. You may reduce the amount of work he has to do in all courses. Voyages in English: Cut down on the amount of written work as long as he understands the material and knows how to apply it. If he has never diagrammed sentences, skip that. History: There are many questions at the end of each chapter. Do some of them orally. Literature: He does not have to finish a book in the time we allot for it. Math: He may have mastered the material. Every fifth lesson is a test. Have him take the first test. If he aces it, do the next test, and so on until he needs to be taught. Do not make him do work that he has already mastered. Also, after he needs to be taught, have him do odds or evens instead of doing every problem. Always make sure he corrects missed problems. Have a schedule for him and let him check off everything he has finished each day.

Lastly, appeal to his spiritual being. Say the Morning Offering every day. Have a calm discussion with him letting him know that everything he does is an offering to God, and he wants to do his best. God does not expect us to be perfect; He does want us to continue to try. Everyone has a vocation, and his vocation right now is to be the best student he can be. His desk is his altar of sacrifice.

I pray this helps. Feel free to call us at 707-255-6499 ex 5 if you would like to discuss specific ways to cut back, etc.
Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:30 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: