RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Speech problem

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling View previous topic
View next topic

Speech problem
rjrmommy

Post Speech problem Reply with quote
My 9 year old has fine speaking skills except for the "th" sound. He has always pronounced it as an "f" even though we have corrected him numerous times over the years and I make him say "th", "th", "th" over and overk. My concern is not that he pronounces it that way (my father does too) but that he spells words using the "f" sound. So it's not only that's what he says, it's also what he hears. For example, he tried to spell "Catholic", "Caflick". Today he was writing "thought" and spelled it "fought". I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Jill
Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
drmommy

Post Reply with quote
Just wondering...have you had his hearing tested?
Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:06 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post Reply with quote
Jill- Our special needs counselor is on maternity leave for another week or two. She can get back to you then too. Hearing is a good idea too... although his issue, i think, is easily correctable by a speech therapist. In other words, if there is an issue it doesn't sound like he'd have to be in therapy for long. (from my limited knowledge of speech therapy!)

Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:01 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rjrmommy

Post Reply with quote
He's had a simple hearing test at the general doctor which comes out fine. However, he has said before, I didn't hear you or I can't hear you but it's usually when I have told him to do something and he doesn't do it right away. Perhaps I should have him evaluated somewhere else? I wouldn't even know where to start. I know I could go through the school system but I don't want to be on their radar for any reason. Any other suggestions are gratefully welcome!
Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
rjrmommy

Post Reply with quote
BTW, my husband says he thinks it's a processing problem...maybe auditory processing? Again, I don't know where to start.
Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
momtimesfour

Post Reply with quote
Jill, I would recommend making an appointment with an audiologist. If I'm not mistaken, an audiologist can help pin down processing issues as well as hearing issues. Your son obviously hears, but you need to find out if he's hearing correctly. (My friend's son used to say "pyramint" instead of "pyramid" for the longest time. Once his ears were checked and he got tubes, he suddenly could hear and spell all kinds of words that he really just didn't hear correctly before.)

Lucy
Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:20 am View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: