RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Handling field trips and daily work

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling View previous topic
View next topic

Handling field trips and daily work
slhallford

Post Handling field trips and daily work Reply with quote
I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the "Parent Interaction" section so I will cross post. I'm welcoming advice and experience from everyone.

How is it recommended/how do YOU handle field trips and still do the recommended amount of daily work? I've found that over the last two years, I've started to decline field trips more and more that might be interesting and fun because it will mean that daily work won't be done "on schedule" and finished within the year.

As a bit of context, I normally schedule out 3 formal days of school per week year round. This means we are in the classroom, doing our assigned lessons per the Kolbe plans. We take Wednesday for roller skating in the morning and run errands in the afternoon or visit the library for new books to read. On Fridays, we do meal planning and grocery shopping and any leftover errands and during the warmer months, we host a homeschool park day in the afternoons. I'm left with a balance of about 4 weeks of actual down time which either becomes makeup time for sick days or the occasional day off. We don't have any breaks longer than a day or two for holidays. We normally do school work on all the Federal/State holidays since they typically fall on Mondays which is one of our regular school days. I do try to keep weekends open and strictly meant for family time together.

One of my kids is a competitive figure skater and the other is a very busy scout and competitive rock climber and they have afternoon commitments to their activities most days. They are 7 and 11 and in 2nd and 5th grades. We've been with Kolbe since my youngest started Kindergarten and my oldest was in 3rd grade. They do have good grades and neither of them is struggling in any areas.

I guess all of this is to say that we are ferociously busy but we manage to get everything finished. I know there was a poll about finishing course plans a while back and pretty much the responses were in the affirmative of actually finishing them.

So this leads me back to the real question. How do field trips/enrichment activities (especially those that are directly related to what they are studying) fit in? Should I/would you schedule them anyway and just count them as a school day and figure on one less day of formal work subtracted from the end of the year? I'm not sure how that even works in a traditional school environment.

Honestly, I feel a little exhausted and anxious over trying to fit everything in and complete all the assigned work. I'd love for them to have the experience of field trips related to their studies but I'm at a loss as to how to do it.

Thank you,

S
Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:42 pm View user's profile Send private message
Dansfam

Post Reply with quote
Hi, I am presently homeschooling a 9th grader, 6th grader, 3rd grader and Pre-K. (I have 2 in college and a senior in Catholic High School.) Since you are "only" homeschooling 3 days a week formally, you might consider making your Wednesdays a field trip day once (or twice) a month, and definitely count them as school days! I find a consistent field trip even "just" once a month is actually a lot by the end of the school year - 10 field trips! Just a head's up: if you continue through middle school and high school you are probably going to find it difficult to continue with three formal days of schooling anyway. I could do that with my younger children, but the older children just require more time to complete their work.
Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:47 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: