RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
PH Chemistry vs. Charlesworth Chemistry

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » High School View previous topic
View next topic

PH Chemistry vs. Charlesworth Chemistry
Megan Lengyel

Location: Alpharetta, GA; formerly, Napa, CA; originally St. Louis, MO

Post PH Chemistry vs. Charlesworth Chemistry Reply with quote
I thought I'd post another comparison since we have two choices for Chemistry as people start thinking about their curriculum purchases for next year. I've listed the topics covered in each book. It appears that Charlesworth's book covers more, but that was just how his table of contents was set up. The PH Chem book actually covers all that Charlesworth does and more. The regular track of Chemistry will cover about the same number of topics that the Charlesworth book covers, although a few topics are covered a little more in depth in PH than in Charlesworth (esp. acids and bases). If anyone has any questions about the course choices, please let me know!

Prentice Hall Chemistry (Wilbraham)
  • Very good college preparatory course
  • Similar "extras" to PH Biology by Miller and Levine
  • Honors option (close to AP prep)
  • Really well done with respect to examples in the book and explanations of topics
  • Plenty of assessment
  • Kolbe course plans updated and have more guidance for parent and student
  • Virtual Lab corresponds directly to the text
  • New text, copyright 2005
  • A bit pricey, but worth it IMHO

Topics
Matter and Change
Scientific Measurement
Atomic Structure
Electrons in Atoms
The Periodic Table
Ionic and Metallic Bonding
Covalent Bonding
Chemical Names and Formulas
Chemical Quantities (the Mole)
Chemical Reactions
Stoichiometry
States of Matter
The Behavior of Gases
Water and Aqueous Systems
Solutions
Thermochemistry
Reaction rates and equilibrium
Acids, bases, and Salts
Oxidation-Reduction Reactions
Electrochemistry
Hydrocarbon Compounds
Functional Groups
Nuclear Chemistry

Introduction to Chemistry by Charlesworth
  • Thorough introduction to high school chemistry
  • Black and White photocopied text with no "extras" (visual aids etc very limited)
  • Explanations on topics tend to be a little more "scant" for those with no background in Chemistry. However, Charlesworth is a very good writer and humorous!
  • A fair number of assessment/review questions
  • Virtual Lab can be used with this, but you'll need to figure out which lab to do with each topic.
  • "Old" course plans with only a little guidance, however, the book is really the course itself (just go from beginning to end, essentially)
  • Older at copyright 1996
  • Price is right!

Topics
Metric system, units, and measurement
Density
Temperature, Pressure, and gas volume
Temperature Conversion
Exponential Notation
The atom and the periodic table
Energy
Ionic bonds
Symbols and Charges
Writing formulas for ionic compounds
Naming Ionic Compounds
Covalent bonds
Naming and writing formulas for covalent compounds
The coordinate covalent bond
Names and formulas for the common acids
Skeletal structural formulas
Structures of some common covalent compounds
Molecules
Atomic, molecular and formula weights
Mixtures
Electronegativity and polar covalent bonds
Oxidation number
Oxidation and reduction
Acids, bases, salts and dissolving
Reading and writing chemical equations
Predicting precipitates in chemical reactions
The mole
Mole and gas Density
Mole and the Chemical equations
Concentration of solutions
Molarity
pH and neutralization power

Book Prices
Prentice Hall Chemistry Student Text $95
PH Virtual ChemLab $95
Paper answer key including Online Access (price still to be determined... new product)
Introduction to Chemistry by Charlesworth $35

Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:05 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
I should also add that Summa Cum Laude students are required to use the new Prentice Hall Chemistry. The honors or regular track may be followed.

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:01 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mdetaos

Post Reply with quote
Megan,

What about those of us who had completed chem BEFORE the new book course plans were available? You mean we would have to redo chemistry in order to qualify for Summa?

Mary
Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:07 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
If Intro to Chemistry was completed before PH was available (so prior to the 06-07 school year), then it is was fine for the Summa since that is all that we offered.

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:27 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mdetaos

Post Reply with quote
BUT, you did not have course plpans available for those of us who DO NOT use the standard calendar year as the Kolbe philosophy allows. We are Jan-Jan mostly and the "new" chem wasn't available when we started chem. What is the policy then???
Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:03 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
You should be fine then, but it is an issue to double check with the advisor department. You can email them to make sure you are on track.

God bless,

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:44 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lemon.chicken

Post Reply with quote
Hi Megan,
I'm a freshman, and I'm going to take chemistry next year. This year, I took two biology books. One was "Exploring Creation with Biology", by Dr. Jay Wile, and the other one was Prentice Hall Biology. And, in my opinion, i found Exploring creation with Biology easier to understand and much more enjoyable than Prentice Hall Biology. So for next year, I want to take Exploring Creation through Chemistry by Dr Jay Wile instead of Prentice Hall Chemistry. But I haven't decided yet. What's your opinion?
Tue May 01, 2007 2:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
I do have a pretty strong opinion of Apologia's science courses, so forgive me if it comes off the wrong way (note that I really do not hope to open a can of worms here). One of the reasons we do not carry Apologia is that we feel they are not college preparatory in nature (in past editions that we have reviewed, we found them more appropriate for middle school science). We know that they are very home school friendly, and so this is why many students choose to use them, but at Kolbe, we try to offer material that is going to be rigorous enough to prepare students adequately to suceed in General Biology (or Chemistry, whichever it may be). We have tried to incorporate more guidance in our course plans to make the courses home school friendly, but that certainly doesn't make the depth of a course any less rigorous. Further, since it is a Protestant book, we feel that students would need to back track on too many issues to learn what the Catholic Church really teaches on some of the more touchier science issues like evolution, young/old earth theory, stem-cell research, etc. It has been easier for us to adapt a secular book that is neutral on these issues and fit the Church teaching in than to "undo" the protestant teachings as they may be presented in programs similar to Apologia. However, our first and foremost concern with Apologia has been the academic rigor of the program overall.

That being said, students following the Magna or Standard diploma can choose to use Apologia's series for their science credits, although we do encourage you to consider using Kolbe's science program and following the regular track instead of the honors track. We've had some students follow the lab work for Apologia but use the PH texts for the actual coursework. This has worked well for many who have gone this route.

Hope that helps aid you in your decision a bit!

God bless,

Tue May 01, 2007 4:44 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MariaW

Post Reply with quote
I was told by an advisor that I talked to on the phone that Apologia Chemistry could only be used for standard diploma. The reason for my asking is because we are aiming for a Magna diploma and already own the Apologia text. The PH is pricey especially since I'll need to purchase for 2 students. I'm confused now as to what to use.

Thanks.
Maria
Sat May 05, 2007 5:26 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
Maria,

No the policy has not changed on accepting Apologia for the Magna. Either the advisor was misinformed or misunderstood in telling you it was accepted only for the standard. It is fine for either the standard or the magna diploma, but not for the summa.

God bless,

Mon May 07, 2007 7:36 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
Just an FYI on the answer key for Prentice Hall. We'll be doing paper answer keys for all of our sciences (except Conceptual Physics). Purchase of the paper answer keys will include online student access. To cover the additional cost of printing, the keys will now be $25 each. We will also be including a printed user's manual for the online interactive textbook with the paper answer key.

If you have purchased the online access in the past and would like a printed answer key, you can call and pay the difference to receive one. Just a note that they will be on backorder until later this summer as I am still trying to work out a lot of the typoes, formatting errors, and additional answer key errors before sending them to print.

Physical Science Answer Key: T4828A, $25
Biology Answer Key: T5153A, $25
Chemistry Answer Key: T5250A, $25

Thu May 10, 2007 11:18 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dymphna

Post Reply with quote
I realize that this is an old thread, but I have some questions.

When I look at the PH site, I see that they sell (for the edition Kolbe uses):

*Virtual ChemLab CD-ROM (same as Kolbe)
*Laboratory Manual, Student Edition (I'm guessing this was what Megan was referring to)
*StudentEXPRESS™ CD-ROM (an "interactive textbook with ChemASAP")

But no 2005 ed. textbook.

My question is twofold:

Does Kolbe's "Answer key and Online Access" equate to the Student Express + an answer key? If so, why is there an additional textbook? (this is probably a 'duh' question, but, you know...)

Second, can the Virtual ChemLab be used as a stand-alone lab program?

Kiddo has a (college level) chem book that he wants to use, but I'm concerned about getting his lab covered. I don't have a problem having to "match things up" myself, but it won't work if the virtual lab requires the PH text. Does that make sense?

Thanks,

dymphna

(who is trying to work out her book order)
Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:03 am View user's profile Send private message
Megan Lengyel

Post Reply with quote
The PH Virtual Lab can definitely be used as a stand alone program. It has a few more advanced labs than what Charlesworth covers, but if you are using an advanced chem book, it will go along nicely. It is actually a "virtual" environment so you could do *almost* any lab that you had directions for, not just the pre-set labs (this is a HUGE difference between the Virtual Bio Lab and Virtual Chem Lab).

THe answer key that we sell at Kolbe includes the online interactive textbook with ChemASAP. However, you do NOT want to work with the online textbook solely (in fact we don't really "allow" it). It's too slow and not set up in a way that makes it easy on the eye (whereas the Kinetic Books are specifically designed to be "online only" and are very nice to work with (you can write notes in them, highlight etc), PH's online text is to be in addition to using the physical text itself). Hopefully that makes sense. But, if you are using another text, then what it would be nice for is to reference chapters etc when matching the virtual lab (though not necessary).

PH may have stopped carrying the 2005, but the 2008 edition did not change page numers or anything (just fixed a few typoes etc). The book dept probably didn't notice the change in editions so it hasn't gotten changed in our catalog yet.

Quote:
Laboratory Manual, Student Edition (I'm guessing this was what Megan was referring to)

Actually no, this is not what the course plan referes to. THe Lab Manual we sell is a guide to writing lab reports and is a Kolbe publication (not a PH publication). THe Lab Manual by PH would be for a student who is doing a classroom laboratory.

Hope this clears things up! God bless, MEgan

Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:44 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dymphna

Post Reply with quote
You always write such great answers Megan - yes it cleared things up.

Thank you very much!

Dymphna
Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:34 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » High School All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: