RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Grading Tip #2 (from KOLBe-JOURNAL Volume 3)

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling View previous topic
View next topic

Grading Tip #2 (from KOLBe-JOURNAL Volume 3)
Anastasia DuPuis

Post Grading Tip #2 (from KOLBe-JOURNAL Volume 3) Reply with quote
Setting Up and Keeping a Grade Book

The best way to keep your grades is in a grade book. Grade books can be purchased from a teacher supply store or kept on the computer. There are grade book programs available, which I hear can be rather pricey, but you can put one together with Excel easily if you are familiar with some of its functions. This sample grade book is one that I created and that you can copy and alter to fit your own needs. But, customizing one particular for yourself can make it even more efficient to keep your children’s grades in order.

A great thing about keeping grades on the computer is that much of the computing can be done for you and even set up to automatically update so you know from day to day what your student’s average is. Just remember, if you do keep your grades on the computer, to always keep a back up copy on a jump drive or some other drive exterior to your computer in case of a crash. When I was teaching, I kept a jump drive in the drawer of my computer desk and would make a backup of my grade book each day after entering my grades.

It is usually easiest to keep a page in the grade book for each individual subject. Below are some simple ideas of how to set up a grade book, either on paper or the computer.

Course Title: Ancient Greek History (Grade 9)

These numbers are calculating the weight of the grade, “ * ” in computer language is “multiplied by”. Thus, the paper is worth 5 times as much as a quiz or participation grade, and the study guide questions here are worth twice as much.

Course Title: Reading (Grade 5)

With elementary students, the types of assignments do not vary much in weight with the exception of tests and a few bigger projects a student may do, you can just simply use your percentages and weight all the assignments equally. For those few tests or big projects that you do want to weigh a little more heavily, simply multiply the percentage on the assignment by the number of daily assignments you feel it is worth.

How to Weight Grades
In figuring your averages you will need to take into account your weighted grades.

When you do not use weighted grades you can simply average your grades. (i.e. For Jane ((89+95+78+100+100+95)/6) = 92.8 -> 93% A- (This 6 is for the 6 total assignments.

When you do use weighted grades you need to count the number of times things are weighted rather than simply the number of assignments. (i.e. For Adam ((89+89+87+87+87+87+87+95+95+89+99+75)/12) = 88.83 -> 89% B+ (Here 12 accounts for how many times in total the grades are weighted.)[/b]

Mathematically speaking, there are a lot of different ways to calculate a weighted grade. The way I have done it above is the method I used when I was teaching. It seemed to be the clearest way for me to do grades without getting too bogged down on a mathematical formula! You can vary the way you weight assignments in whatever way is most convenient for you.

Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:16 pm View user's profile Send private message

Reply to topic    Kolbe Academy Forum Index » General Counseling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: